Community Wide Orientation
The El Paso Nurse Educators' Council (ENPEC) consists of representatives from the Education Department of various hospitals and academic institutions that offer health programs in the city. We meet monthly to brainstorm, network, and problem solve issues regarding the educational needs of the hospital staff. To comply with a variety of standards, regulations, and mandates that govern all hospitals, the City Wide Student Hospital Orientation was developed. Differences among the hospitals will be addressed at each facility when you begin your clinical rotation.
Topics & Objectives
Upon completion of this orientation, the student/faculty member should be able to:
- Discuss C.D.C. and O.S.H.A. guidelines as they relate to infection control to include a discussion of H.I.V. / A.I.D.S. and Smallpox.
- Compare and contrast hazardous and infectious materials/waste to include safe handling precautions and appropriate spill response.
- Describe the role(s) of the student/faculty member during an emergency situation (i.e.: Code Blue, internal or external disaster, etc.).
- Discuss trends in patient confidentiality, professional ethics, legalities, and advanced directives as they pertain to the clinical rotation setting.
- Develop an understanding of H.I.P.A.A. and how it impacts the way in which they communicate patient information.
- Describe the role(s) of the student/faculty member as it relates to the Patient Safety Standards established by J.C.A.H.O.
- Review keys to fire prevention/response and electrical safety in the hospital setting.
- Demonstrate proper lifting techniques and body mechanics
- You must read each of the Module PDFs
- Take the Exam
- Print out your certificate at the end of the Exam