Commencement Attire Regulations
- Traditional black gown - not modified, altered, or decorated in any way.
- Traditional black cap - decorations to cap must not alter the profile or size of the mortarboard; offensive or provocative language is strictly prohibited.
- Leave personal belongings with family or friends. We cannot hold items and items cannot be left unattended. Please do not leave items in bathrooms, on the ground or in your seat. EPCC and the venue are not responsible for unattended items. We recommend wearing a dress or slacks with pockets.
- Use caution in selecting your graduation footwear. You will be required to stand for long periods of time, walk distances, and use stairs/ramps. We encourage you to be comfortable and safe!
- Candidates will wear tassels on the right side until degrees are conferred.
- Additional items – official regalia for the following honors or distinctions may be worn:
- College honor societies and honor students.
- U.S. military veterans and military service members that have been recognized with these unique designations.
- ECHS graduates may wear their early college stole and the honor student stole.
Note: Caps and gowns are to be ordered at the EPCC Valle Verde Bookstore located on the Valle Verde Campus, 919 Hunter, Building A. All gowns for EPCC graduates are black and the tassels are teal. Graduation announcement, invitations, class rings, and diploma frames may also be ordered at the EPCC Bookstore.
Marching Order Registration
When eligible candidates receive their email from the Registrar, there will be information and a link will be provided to indicate your wish to participate in the graduation ceremony. All candidates participating in commencement must RSVP through
Marching Order. Once you RSVP you will receive a confirmation email.
Graduates who have RSVP’d to participate in commencement will check in at the Auxiliary Gym/Memorial Gym at the UTEP. The processional will depart from the Memorial Gym promptly 15 minutes prior to the ceremony. At the Memorial Gym Annex graduates will receive their registration cards and line up for the ceremony. Late graduates will not get to walk with their degree and will walk once all degrees have been called. There is no commencement rehearsal held for graduates.
At the ceremony, all candidates need to be prepared to present their name card prior to walking across the stage. Candidates will receive your name card when you check in at the Auxiliary Gym/Memorial Gym.
UTEP Don Haskin’s Center
Graduation will be taking place at
UTEP's Don Haskins Center General parking is free for the event at the following lots: SB7, GR1, GR2. Disabled parking is accessible at lot SB8 (disabled parking permit is required). Working Staff are to park in lot GR3 (UTEP parking permit required). VIP Parking is located in lot GR4 (UTEP parking permit required).
Center for Students’ with Disabilities
Graduates requiring special assistance for the ceremony, please call the Center for Students with Disabilities.
For the safety of all participants and guests, only graduates who have RSVP’d and designated EPCC faculty and staff are allowed on the floor of the Don Haskins Center. Family and professional photographers will not be allowed on the floor of the Don Haskins Center and must remain in the areas designated for guests. Flash Photography will photograph graduates twice on stage and will email and mail a proof and order form. For Customer Service please call (888) 325-3930.
Commencement Conduct Guidelines
Commencement is a time to celebrate and enjoy your achievement. However, it is also ceremonial. EPCC expects to conduct a meaningful, dignified ceremony in honor of all graduates. Disorderly and/or disruptive conduct, including, but not limited to the examples provided below, may be grounds for being escorted off the premises and not allowed to participate in the ceremony, and may result in your diploma and/or transcript being retained by the College.
By participating in EPCC’s Commencement ceremony (in-person or online) you agree to observe the following guidelines and/or understand them and agree to them:
- Be respectful of other graduates and the audience by staying in your seat before and after you receive your diploma and until those on the Commencement platform exit during the recessional.
- Inappropriate behavior for this occasion includes, but is not limited to: taking of selfies while on the commencement platform, pranks, stepping or dancing of any kind, and/or vocal or visual disruptions.
- Use of any noise maker, including whistles and air horns is strictly prohibited.
- Cell phones are permitted, but out of courtesy for other participants, students should silence their phone, not use them during the formal speaking portions of the ceremony, and should not use them while receiving their diploma on stage.
- The use and/or possession of alcohol is strictly prohibited.
- For your safety and the safety of others, please do not toss any objects in the air during the ceremony.
- All participants must stay for the duration of the event and ask guests to remain to ensure each student's name is heard when called.
- Any health or safety guidelines set by the facility or public health officials must be followed by all graduating participants and that of their guests.