Selection into this program will be based on the applicant’s academic qualifications (GPA >3.0), financial need, and applicants’ motivation to pursue a career in the biomedical field.
RISE students must be science majors enrolled at EPCC fulltime (12 credit hours), and maintain a GPA greater than 3.0 to be accepted and remain in the program.
RISE students must participate in and successfully complete all RISE activities in order to stay in the program. Once accepted, students will be placed in a research laboratory to participate in a research project supervised by a faculty mentor. Students can expect to:
- Interact with advanced students and scientists
- Familiarize themselves with a research environment
- Learn from peers what it takes to succeed in a university setting
- Understand what it takes to carry out a successful research project
- Learn the basics in laboratory techniques, safety procedures, and ethical practices
- Participate in biomedical research seminars and workshops
- Present their research projects at national scientific meetings