El Paso Community College demonstrates its continued support to the community of El Paso County by offering the Dual Credit classes at no cost to students. The Dual Credit Program at El Paso Community College offers fundamental core courses to qualified students while still enrolled in high school. The college class is a replacement rather than an addition as students take just one class, the college class, and earn both high school and college credit. The courses are taught by instructors credentialed by El Paso Community College. One of the goals of the program is to provide a positive collegiate learning experience for participating high school students. In compliance with HB 505, there is currently no limit to the number of dual credit courses in which a student may enroll while in high school nor to the grade levels at which a high school student may be eligible to enroll in a dual credit course.
- Provides a head start on postsecondary core requirements
- Lowers cost of college (credits earned are at no cost)
- Extends the variety of classes available to high school students
- Allows shared resources--college library, fine art performances, career development services, and much more
- Provides greater opportunity for a coordinated education
- Allows an easier transition to college