Transfer Credit Evaluation

There are a variety of ways available to record additional credit hours to your transcript at El Paso Community College. Those who have attended another college or university will have those credits evaluated for transfer. Through articulation agreements with area high schools, the College may award credit for some high school classes. Perhaps you have earned credit by examination through national testing programs or your life experiences may gain you college credit. If you are already working in the profession for which you are seeking a degree, you may achieve advanced standing through the Credit for Learning by Experience Option (CLEO) program. You may also earn course credits for military training/experience.

In some cases, you can take proficiency exams to move through your coursework more quickly. It is each student’s responsibility to seek evaluation of credits and provide all the transcripts and documents needed to evaluate any prior educational experience. For more detailed information, contact any Counseling Office or the Evaluations Department in the Admissions Office.

El Paso Community College will accept credits in transfer from any college or university accredited through a recognized regional accrediting association. Generally, credit will be accepted for any college level non-remedial course in which you received a “D” or better. Quarter credit hours will be converted to semester credit hours using a two-thirds ratio, i.e. three quarter credit hours will be converted to two semester credit hours.

If you are seeking a degree from EPCC, you are required to submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended.

Even if you don’t plan to complete a degree, you need to submit all transcripts for TSI verification and academic advising. The transcripts will be evaluated for undergraduate credit and transferred to your current transcript. Upper division and graduate credit do not transfer. The Evaluations Department in the Admissions Office follows prescribed policies from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) for acceptance of transfer credit.

Transfer of credits from a foreign college or university also follows the guidelines established by SACS. In some cases, original transcripts must be provided by the student, transliterated into English. You also need to provide credit recommendations from a credentials evaluation agency (

Click here to see the International Student detailed information.

You will be notified in writing if the transfer credits have not been accepted by EPCC. You can appeal that decision within 45 days of receiving notice, under the guidelines established by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board rule Chapter 5, subchapter S, Section 393. Appeals should be initiated with the Director of Admissions.