Credit earned by examination is recorded on the official EPCC academic record after the student enrolls and completes all admissions requirements. Transfer students must provide transcripts from all previous institutions before credit by examination can be considered.
After transfer credit has been awarded from all previous colleges, students need to make a request for the award of credit by examination. Students may make the request in person or in a letter addressed to the Admissions & Registration office. Letters need to have a date and the student’s signature and EPCC ID number.
- Credit earned by examination will be awarded only to enrolled and formerly enrolled EPCC students who meet credit by examination eligibility requirements.
- Credit by examination may be earned for any subject listed below unless the student (a) has earned credit for the equivalent course by transfer, or (b) has enrolled in the course and received a grade other than “W”.
- Credit earned by examination satisfies degree requirements in the same way as credit earned by instruction. There is no limit to the amount of credit that may be earned by examination, and credit by examination can be used to meet pre-requisites for higher level courses.
- Credit earned at regionally accredited colleges will be considered for transfer award before credit by examination.
- Credit earned by examination may not be applied to institutional residency requirements for degree.
- Credit earned by examination is recorded as a grade of CR and is not included in grade point average calculation.
- All decisions regarding specific examinations for credit, cut-off scores, and equivalencies are made by the appropriate faculty with the concurrence of the Instructional Dean.
EPCC is pleased to offer college credit based on successful completion of the nationally recognized examinations viewable at the Testing Services tab.
*Note: Credit in U.S History is allowed only for one course. The other course must be taken in a classroom as required by Texas Legislative requirements for degrees.
EPCC offers several ways that you can earn college credit by exam, and Testing Services can help you by administering a variety of credit by exam tests.
CLEP and DSST tests are nationally standardized tests recognized by institutions of higher education across the nation. EPCC Proficiency Exams are locally developed tests that enable you to demonstrate your knowledge of EPCC specialized courses and may not be accepted by other institutions as transferred credit. EPCC is a military friendly test center which provides testing at the Valle Verde Testing Center to support Ft. Bliss military personnel.
Before taking any credit by exam test, you should always consult with your counselor/advisor to insure that the test will support your degree plan. The counselors can advise you on the most current credit awarded by EPCC for CLEP or DSST tests.
If you are taking CLEP or DSST for another educational institution, you should check with them first (before testing) to find out what their credit by exam policies and procedures are and the minimum score you need to earn credit.
Take time to explore all the options offered by EPCC to earn credit by exam. Review your degree plan and compare the courses you need to our credit by exam lists. You might be able to save yourself time and tuition dollars and earn your college degree faster!