Institutional Research
Institutional Review Board

 Q1. Which types of research require an IRB request?

EPCC requires an IRB application for permission to use human subjects in research when its employees, students, or agents:

  • Intervene or interact with living individuals for research purposes

  • Obtain, release, or access individually identifiable private information for research purposes.

  • EPCC also requires an IRB

 Q2. Which types of research are exempt?

Research that is “exempt” includes:

  • Normal educational practices such as: research on regular and special education instructional strategies or research on the effectiveness of or the comparison among instructional techniques, curricula, or classroom management methods;

  • Educational tests, surveys, interviews, or observation of public behavior unless identified and sensitive;

  • Research using existing data, documents, records, pathological specimens, or diagnostic specimens, if publicly available or unidentifiable;

  • Research on elected or appointed public officials or candidates for public office;

  • Evaluation of public benefit service programs;

  • Taste and food quality evaluation and consumer acceptance studies.

 Q3. How do you place a request for IRB approval?

Anyone wanting to perform experiments involving humans must first read the EPCC Administrative Policies and Procedures Manual on “Human Subjects in Research” and certify that his/her proposed research is in conformity with the College policy. The applicant must also certify that he/she has read the Belmont Report, the regulations for the protection of human subjects (45 CFR 46), the NIH Guidelines on the Inclusion of Women and Minorities as Subjects in Clinical Research (Federal Register, March 29, 1994, pages 14508-14513), and the NIH Policy and Guidelines on the Inclusion of Children as Participants in Research Involving Human Subjects. The first two documents are available on this website and the latter two documents are available in College Research Center and on the Office for Human Research Protections web page at Once these materials have been thoroughly reviewed, an application must be submitted to the Institutional Review Board for approval.