A) Current Programs
- All programs budgets must be based on realistic revenue expectations and justified by the needs of the program. Budgeted expenditures have to be directly related to the specific purpose of the program and are subject to the same criteria as outlined in the Budget Development instructions for the institutional fund.
- The budget head must follow the budgeting process outlined in the Planning/Budget Guide for the Budget Development year.
B) New Programs
- Any request to create a new self-supporting program needs to be forwarded to the Budget Office with the appropriate approvals.
- The request needs to include the complete Banner Fund request including the rationale and justification for the creation of the new program. Budget forms must be attached to the request.
- The new program budget must be based on realistic revenue expectations and justified by the needs of the program.
C) Overhead Recovery Rate
Self-supporting program budgets should have a realistic revenue amount. Most self-supporting programs are currently charged an overhead recovery rate of 15% based on the actual revenue generated by those self-supporting programs.
D) Budget and Accounting Monitoring
Budget heads will be responsible to make sure that only expenditures related to the program are charged to the respective self-supporting budget. By the same token, self-supporting program expenditures may not be charged to any institutional account. Budget heads will be responsible for monitoring the programs by reviewing the Banner expenditures either online (screen FGIBDST) or thru monthly reports (FGRBDSC/ODTA). Budget heads are required to report any discrepancies to the program’s assigned accountant for research and work with them to resolve the issues.